Sunday, June 5, 2011

Church.

This morning was incredible. I'm not the biggest "blogger" but I need to process through this, and want others to be praying as well.

This morning half our group decided we wanted to go to Jpusa (Jesus People USA) and the other half would go to Uptown Baptist. Jpusa is a "hippie" church, and I had my heart set on it. Its pronounces Ja-poo-sa. Seriously? So cool! It started a half hour earlier than uptown baptist, so we left early. Very early.

However, you cannot count on public transit. We waited for the bus for what seemed like forever, and by the time that it came we realized we were going to be really late. All I could think was, "Really God? I pour myself out all week, and I just want to be filled." My thoughts and actions were completely selfish. When we finally got off the bus, it was too late to go to Jpusa, however across the street we would have been right on time for Uptown Baptist. I was still angry. Dont ask me why, but I was just irrationally frustrated. I didn't want to go there.

When we got in, so many were crying. I didn't understand, and honestly didn't give it much thought. As the people piled in, I noticed that just about every race was present - and we were the minority. It was pretty incredible. On the walls were different colored banners all saying "Jesus Christ" in different languages.

After worship, the pastor came up to speak. He said there had been a death in the family of the church. Just this weekend he took the teenage boys on a youth retreat to get them out of the city. During a break in the retreat, the pastor took the boys to a pond as he watched them under a shaded tree. He noticed that a boy, who was swimming next to his son didn't make it across. He jumped in the pond and didn't make it in time. The pastor screamed and hit the pulpit, angry that he couldn't save him. Half the congregation fled to him and encouraged him while he wept.

Another man came up to him, took the microphone and praised Jesus for taking this 16 year old. For taking him out of an area of violence and heartbreak. He praised him for the things the boy got to experience and the lives he touched. That man was the boys father. He didn't hesitate or doubt, he had faith like I've never seen before. Remember, this death happened yesterday.

The service went on talking about praising during the hard times, and what it looks like to encourage others the way Christ did. Walking away from that service I was speechless, our whole group was actually. Then, God showed me His grace again. 


Walking down the church steps, as I was stumbling to find my CTA card to hop on the bus, a man approached us. This isn't uncommon... I can't count the amount of people who have approached me wanting money. But this guy was different. He said that the Lord stirred in him that he needs to quit his addiction of cigarettes in order to pursue Him purely. He wanted our group of 10 people to surround him in prayer in order to overcome this. I was overjoyed, yet cautious. As we finished praying, I was still expecting a plea for money. However, when we finished he thanked us over and over again, and offered to pay for our lunch.

God has shown up so much in just one morning. I didn't even want to go where God was leading me this morning. Please continue to pray as I'm forced to grow this summer.. its unreal the things my heart has been processing.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Stunning. Thank you for sharing, miss. Just kind of speechless right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps” (Prov. 16:9, NIV)

    This story reminded me of our immersion and made me smile. God knows the destination...remember to be led while you lead this summer, it's not easy to trust and even harder to hear His voice in all the noise, thanks so much for sharing and for the reminder Lauren. Love ya-Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a wonderful story. Thank you for being honest and open to what God is teaching you through this trip. I cannot wait to see you this week.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't have much time, but wanted to write a brief note of encouragement. i used to work at Uptown Baptist & know how mission groups such as yours have blessed the church and the neighborhood.

    Please post more & i'll be to comment back.

    ReplyDelete